|LongEZ - N961EZ on the tarmac in Alamogordo, New Mexico|
I FLY EZ
DISCUSSION: Removing a wing
Irreparable damage can be done to the wings and center spar if the wing is allowed to twist or suspend after the three attach bolts are loostened.
You need two helpers, three would be better.
The helper at the wing tip; Keep the wing lined up straight, i.e. up/down at the wing tip. You'll need to rock up and down slightly when it comes time to remove the wing.
The helper at the leading edge, positioned at the wing/strake junction. Keep the wing straight, i.e. the wing leading edge up/down. keep lined up with the strake. Use your hand/fingers to hold the wing leading edge against the strake leading edge.
1) With the helpers in position.
2) Remove cowling
3) Inside the engine compartment, disconnect the rudder cable. If the disconnect has multiple holes (for adjustment) make a note of which hole the cable is in. With the thimble removed, reassemble all the hardware on the cable so it won't get lost.
4) Remove the aileron push rod. The push rod runs along the back of the Centerspar, between the wing and the fuselage control bellhorn. It may have a Disconnect in it, if so, then disconnect at this fitting. If not, try removing at the attach point where the control tube from the bellhorn where it comes through the fire wall. NOTE: The LongEZ in the photos doesn't have aileron disconnects. If it did, they would be located as shown in the photos.
NOTE: If the pushtube is disconnected at the fuselage bellcrank, EXTREME caution needs to exercised when moving the wing from the bolts. Its easy to catch the push tube on engine components and bend the tube.
5) Using two 3/4 inch socket wrenches, remove the nuts from the three attach bolts. This is a very critical stage when the wing is vulnerable to damage; The helper at the wing tip needs to hold the wing tip steady, both UP/DOWN and FORWARD/ BACKWARD. The helper at the leading edge needs to hold the wing leading edge even and lined up with the strake leading edge. The inboard bolt can be accessed from inside the back seat by reaching into the centerspar. A helper will need to take the nut off from the outside. The two outboard bolts can be reached through an access hole in the bottom of the strake.
IMPORTANT - Loosten all of the nuts by 1 or two turns first, then go back and completely remove the nuts.
The nuts can be reached from above and below Once the nuts are removed, do the following
6) If the helpers rock slightly, i.e. 1 or 2 inches up/down AND forward/backward at the wing tip, and 1 inch up/down at the leading edge, the wing will slide straight back. IMPORTANT: When the wing has slid back a inch or two, everybody stop and hold perfectly still. Using a flashlight, reach up between the wing and the center spar with a scribe, Count the number of washer on each bolt, ALSO make a note if they are thick or thin washers. Draw a diagram that shows the location of these washers, these need to be put back exactly in the same locations when reassemble. These washers shim the wing for correct trim when flying. Verify that the aileron control tube is clear.
7) With a third helper at the trailing edge, continue to pull the wing back, you may need to continue with the gentle rocking. (The helper at the wing strake needs to give direction to the wing tip helper for wing tip FORWARD/BACKWARD movement.)
8) When the wing is clear of the bolts, STOP. Go to the Wing/Strake junction and disconnect any wires, Antenna, strobe, etc. Reverify that the aileron tube, rudder cable, and everything else is clear. Be careful with the aileron control tube.
9) Set the wing on the ground, Locate all the shim washers. do a count and make sure they are accounted for. account for all bolts and nuts before relocating the wing.
Reassemble in reverse order.
Waiters GPS Set Time program.
Waiters Flight Data Recorder.
Flight Data Recorder.
Recording aircraft flight data.
Aircraft Voice recorder.
Garmin GPS Serial data Format.
Recording EFIS data.
Capture Serial data.
Convert Raw Data Files.
Free GPS Software.
Reading GPS data.
Reading Garmin GPS data.
Aircraft EFIS Flight Instruments.
Electronic Flight Instruments.
Aircraft Engine Monitor System.
Garmin G format.
Infinity landing gear LongEZ Plans Built Airplane.
Oil Heat system for Homebuilt airplane.
LongEZ Canard and main Wing.
Dynon instrument panel.
Custom Mouse cursors.
Garmin Serial Data Format.
Easy, Free Computer Time setting by GPS Receiver.
Custom mouse pointers.
Custom airplane mouse pointers.
LongEZ Nose gear doors.
Long-EZ main landing gear doors.
LongEZ grasscutter landing gear door.
Custom LongEZ mouse pointers.
Lycoming engine in LongEZ.
MT Propellor with 6 inch propellor extension.
EZNose Lift retractable nose gear for Long-EZ.
Rutan LongEZ is a plans built aircraft.
High speed homebuilt airplane.
Retractable landing gear for LongEZ.
Custom Airbus mouse cursor pointer.
Custom Velocity mouse cursor pointer.
NMEA 0183 Serial data Format.
Custom Cozy mouse cursor pointer.
Custom Aerocanard airplane mouse cursor pointer.
Custom E-Racer mouse cursor pointer.
Custom Canard airplane mouse cursor pointer.
Custom LongEZ mouse cursor pointer.
Set your Computer clock with this free GPS software.
Custom F15 mouse cursor pointer.
Custom A10 Warthog mouse cursor pointer.
LongEZ Hydraulic pump.
Retractable landing gear for a Long-EZ.
Custom F16 mouse cursor pointer.
Custom F14 mouse cursor pointer.
Custom Boeing 747 mouse cursor pointer.
Custom Boeing 767 mouse cursor pointer.
Custom Boeing 777 mouse cursor pointer.
Custom Boeing 737 mouse cursor pointer.
GPS Time Sync.
Custom Boeing 727 mouse cursor pointer.
Landing gear door rigging.
Custom Boeing 757 mouse cursor pointer.
Custom MD80 mouse cursor pointer.
Custom DC9 mouse cursor pointer.
Setting your computer to a GPS Time.
Custom RV mouse cursor pointer.
Downdraft cooling for LongEZ.
Speed brake installation.
Waiters Flight Data Recorder.
LongEZ Baggage pods installation instructions.
Waiters Custom Airplane mouse cursors.
Free GPS Time Sync Program.
LongEZ Intercom installation.
Major airframe overhaul of plans built EZ.
Weight and balance for a LongEZ.
Weight and Balance spreadsheet download for a Long-EZ.
LongEZ fuel system design.
How To remove the wings from a LongEZ.
How To remove the canard from a LongEZ.
Waiters GPS Time sync program runs on PC.
How To remove the engine from a LongEZ.
Long-EZ Downdraft cooling for a Lycoming O-320.
Long-EZ Wing Removal and installation instructions.
Waiters Retractable Landing Gear Controller.
Landing Light installation in LongEZ.
Install free EFIS software on your PC.
How to Put several longezs in one hangar.
How to install an Infinity Aerospace Retractable landing gear in a Long-EZ.
How to install DownDraft cooling on a Long-EZ.
Setting you computer clock to GPS time.
How to set your Computer clock to GPS Time.
Using your GPS Receiver to set your computers clock.
Low cost GPS receiver used to syncronize Computer clock to GPS time.
Neat Canopy stay system for an EZ.
Cabin Heat using engine oil as source.
Waiters GPS Time, Syncronize your PCs internal clock with the GPS satellite.
Remote display of EFIS on a PC.
Cabin Oil Heater for a LongEZ.
LongEZ Landing Gear Door.
Rigging a LongEZ Landing Gear door.
Icom Radio in LongEZ.
How to Build a Manometer.
LongEZ Electrical system upgrades.
Grand Rapids EMS.
Custom Windows cursors.
Custom Windows mouse pointers.
LongEZ Cowling for downdraft cooling.
Record holding LongEZ flights.
Using a PLC for a retractable Landing Gear Controller in a LongEZ.
Syncronize your PCs clock to a GPS receiver.
Airspeed vs pressure lookup tables.
How to build a homebuilt airplane.
Video of LongEZ taking off.
Grasscutter landing gear door.
EZ Nose Lift installation.
Landing Gear status indicator.
Shareware software can set your PC clock vie a GPS receiver.
Landing Gear controller computer for LongEZ.
Landing gear doors.
Dynon EMS10 installed in instrument panel of a LongEZ.
Dynon EFIS D10A installed in instrument panel of a LongEZ.
Flight Data Recorder Software.
Video of High G turn in a Long EZ.
Strong Pitch Trim system installed in a LongEZ.
Strong Pitch Trim mounted on Left Side of Long-EZ.
Free software sets your PC clock with a GPS receiver.
Video of LongEZ Taking off.
Video of LongEZ Landing.
Video of LongEZ performing a high G turn.
Video of Infinity Landing gear being retracted into a LongEZ.
LongEZ Color White.
Painting your LongEZ.
Infinity Landing Gear for LongEZ.
Strong Pitch system.